Saturday, July 18, 2009

You're only a tourist once.....then you're a..regular?

Guess who is the bright young student who sets their watch an hour the wrong way and wakes up with a phone call asking if I'm coming to class today (the first day of class that is). You guessed it, that'd be me. STORY OF MY LIFE.
First day of class, I am scrambling to get dressed and find my class all in a matter of 10 minutes, this would happen to me. Luckily I ran into my professors wife on the outside of the dorm and she took pity and helped me find my way. WHEW! Real smooth Jess, real smooth. Class wise I really enjoy our curriculum. International business is fascinating! After class, the girls and I set off to find somewhere to eat lunch and do a little shopping. We found the H&M and a few shops along the way, but im yet to make any great purchases! (I'll be sure to let you know). Then we headed back to say goodbye to everyone headed to the British Open. (Mom, I know you're going to ask why I didn't go so here it is). A. It's my first weekend in London. (Curious little bunny needs to explore) B. I can't resist the markets with clothes (someone could scoop up something that I just had to have while Tiger and I were hanging out) C. I wasn't in the mood for MORE traveling and D. It's so much easier to watch it on the tube and follow everyone than walk around all day following one person in the rain/wind. aka I'll pass.
Tara and I took a little nap and then woke up to find the apple store.
My first tube experience and we succeeded wonderfully! My "converter" exploded my computer charger....awesome. We stopped for some amazing gelato and then headed back to the house.
We were worn completely out. I've never walked so much in my life. No wonder people are so thin here...hmmm, I might be on to something.This morning Tara and I
woke up bright and early (garage sale style) got dressed, grabbed some breakfast and coffee andheaded to the tube to get to PORTOBELLO ROAD.
One word, phenomenal.
We got off the tube, saw two really cute girls and decided to ask them where the market was. Low and behold these girls not only showed us the way, gave us "local" hints, but actually one had briefly studied in DALLAS, had watched a UT vs. Baylor football game, and knew one of our friends at Baylor. SMALL WORLD.
I don't know if any of you have heard of the 6 degrees of separation, but this to me proves it true. (if you're by any means interested here is an article about it. Here.)
Anyway we shopped and shopped and shopped.
We put together Tara a birthday outfit since she will be here for her birthday (well Scotland) and I went along for the ride, mostly( I bought a Ted Baker really cute top with the 75.00 pounds tag still on it for 7.00 pounds, can we say EBAY)"Money,money,money,moneyyy...anyone,eh?eh?". I'm more interested in exploring and not making any irrational buying decisions until I stake out all my options......yes I just said that. The shopaholic herself.
Portobello road has everything you can ask for, it was a blast.
Tonight we might try to go see something at the theater, I'm so excited I found out today that Chicago is playing in London. MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE. Today was such a great day, great weather, great experience,great company.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” - St. Augustine

1 comment:

  1. Hi honey -You soumd like you are having a wonderful time! I cannot believe you did not go to the Golf Tournament - You still have tomorrow!! Be safe and enjoy life!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete