Tuesday, July 14, 2009

You're from England right?...Not hardly it's called Texas.




Happiness is not a
station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling - Margeret Lee Renbach

What a wonderful, exhausting day!! Today as a group.....well those of us that made it up this morning headed into Aix en Provence to take a walking tour and learn
about the city we're currently staying in. I stayed on the tour for an hour and a half and then was distracted by the market, imagine that. Three of us ditched the walk and did a little souvenir shopping...Moo, Nana, and Mrs Cathy should all get exciteddddd!!! Thanks to Jonathan he's taught me how to bargain and I got some things for pretty cheap. GO ME!!! France never knew what hit them. Today is actually Bastille day in France which in a nutshell is France's July 4th, so all the shops were closed and the only place to get anything were at the markets. We visited all three markets today, the vegetable market and food market that had spices of every kind, meats, vegetables and of course everything smelled like heaven. Then we came across the flower market that I of course was in love with
.. I could have stayed there and bought flowers all day
... but I pulled it together and realized that A. I don't have a vase and B. I'm leaving in a day to go to London. We then went to a cathedral that was absolutely beautiful, I've never been in anything like that before. I wish that we had church in something like this. It was phenomenal as well as really old and interesting. Then of course came the other market where there was jewelry, bags, hats, clothes, knickknacks, and everything else you could imagine. I had a really great time there today.The girls that stayed with me all shopped
for a while, grabbed lunch and a small thing of gelato and then headed for the bus.
Off to Arles! Arles was fantastic, we walked through a Roman colosseum that was absolutely amazing, any of you that have seen gladiator and liked it would have enjoyed this.
It was over 2000 years old I believe and it's still used today for bull fights, gladiator reenactments and more. We also went to a roman amphitheater that was really impressive as well. It amazes me how all this architecture was built without the use of cranes or anything... all by the pulley system ( talk about using what you've got).
These structures completely blew my mind. We also visited one more cathedral that was really neat as well. Beautiful carvings, hand-paintings, statues, stained glass, and much more. The last little stop was the same view of where Van Gogh painted one of his famous paintings. It was really neat to see that up close and personal.

Today was a long day, lots of walking, and exploring but so much fun.

Tomorrow we're going to three different places I believe! I'll be sure to update.

Love you all, hope all is well.
xoxo




1 comment:

  1. Jessie Ray! Great pics and great blogging! Thanks for sharing your peek into Europe. Keep up the fun!

    ReplyDelete